Tuesday, March 11, 2008

An Enduring Measure of Fitness: The Simple Push-Up

A nice article from the New York Times on the value of Push-Ups

By TARA PARKER-POPE Published: March 11, 2008

I started doing push-ups every morning a year or two ago. I think I could do about 30 with ease. I wanted to start to do a set of them every single morning, so it would become a habit--this is why I started with a low number: If I had chosen a higher amount, I would soon have gotten sore and abandoned the project.

After a month I added 10 more per morning and eventually reached 100. I still do 100, but I haven't increased the number because it is already painful enough and I think if I made it more painful I would just quit.

This is pretty much the only strength training I do and it has had a pretty good effect. My waist went down a couple of inches and it seems like I don't strain my back as often as I had in the past. It takes about 90 seconds every morning. These are unpleasant seconds but they are a worthwhile investment.

dbp

Added: From the article: Did you know Jack LaLanne was still alive? He is 93! I thought he died years ago.

No comments: