Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Blog comments curation--a blog

I came up with an idea for a blog today.

This blog (pecchia.blogspot.com) is a tiny little thing which exists to keep friends and family up-to-date with whatever is going on in my life and in my head. But there exist greater blogs, full of wit and learned thought: Ones with millions of visits per year and scores of comments per post.

The comments are often as good or even better than the posts which prompt them. The problem is that in amongst the gems is a lot of crap: Repetitions of arguments already made, off-topic thread jacks, side-jihads and a plethora of distractions. The idea would be to read through it all and then create a blog post which sums-up the ideas presented in the discussion. I think the most direct way would be to describe the flow of ideas as they occurred, but leave out the sniping and side-issues (unless they are interesting or funny). It would be kind of like Television Without Pity, except it would be recaps of blog comment threads instead of TV shows.

The kind of blogs that regularly have great comment threads are: Althouse, Just One Minute, and Megan McArdle. I am sure there are lots of other great ones, but these are the ones I look at.

Maybe one of these days if I really feel like writing but don't really have any idea that I want to share, I will choose a comment thread and try out this idea of mine.

No comments: