Sunday, June 29, 2008

Their bravery has inspired me

An article in the New York Times: June 29, 2008 Obama Supporters Take His Name as Their Own By JODI KANTOR

It seems that some young followers of Senator Obama have the idea of changing their middle name to Hussein (not legally, just in facebook and places like that) to honor him and (supposedly) diffuse any negative connotation the name might have.

Some said they were inspired by movies, including “Spartacus,” the 1960 epic about a Roman slave whose peers protect him by calling out “I am Spartacus!” to Roman soldiers...

I don't know if you (my 6 readers) have seen the great film directed by Stanley Kubrick, but there was some real risk in being mistaken for Spartacus--The Romans planned to crucify him. The consequences of having Hussein as a middle name? Getting nominated by a major political party to run for president of the United States.

I know they think they are helping their man, and being brave & etc. But I hope it will occur to them that acting like cult members probably doesn't help with the broader public.

No comments: