Sunday, November 02, 2008

new longish run

I hate to run out and back; I much prefer loops, so I had to look at a number of options when running down toward Concord. As it was, I wish I had gone a little further South since I had plenty of energy left at the end of this run.

This is the eternal problem with long runs: You need to develop long range endurance and so it is the last 6 miles of a 20 mile run that are doing you good. So, it is a total pain to do the first 14 since they are basically just prep-work. They don't feel like prep work, just work! I could feel at the end of this run that I was just getting to glycogen depletion and switching over to fatty-acid metabolism. It is not an on-off switch, "the wall" notwithstanding.

Practical matters intervened in that my wife needed to be out of the house by 11:45 and I didn't want the kids left unattended any longer than necessary, but still, an extra 40 minutes would have put me into the 20 mile range and would have done me a lot of good.

No comments: