Sunday, July 08, 2018

Why Are We Using The Word "We", So Stupidly?

I've been seeing it all over the place lately and I think it has been happening for a while: The headline of an article is in the form of "Why Do We, or Why Are We X" where X is the problematic thing they want to talk about.

Just go to a place like Medium and I guaranty you will find at least one story like that. Here is one I found just now:

MEMBER FEATURE STORY

We’re Having The Wrong Debate About Pronouns
Let’s talk about how we talk about ourselves

Go to the profile of Ben Freeland
Ben Freeland
Jul 3
Why does this irritate me?

I am not having, nor do I care to have a debate about pronouns. I suppose that if I had an interest in the article, then the headline might accurately reflect some true thing about me. But the headline exists to get me to read the article. In this case, the presumptuousness of it makes me rather less willing to read it.

Here is a more egregious example:



"why do we keep casting Scarlett Johansson in roles where she doesn’t fit the criteria?"

The decision for Ms. Johansson to play this role came down to a very small group of individuals: At least two, Johansson and the casting director, but maybe a few others like a producer or director.

This is taking the use of "we" to psycotic levels.

The only way it is sane is if Mr. Amorim was involved in the casting. Then why is he bringing us into this discussion: If he wants to bring us into it, he should say,

"What the hell was I thinking when I recommended Scarlett Johansson for this role? Please comment in the thread, so I know where to turn for mental health counseling.


No comments: