Tuesday, July 06, 2021

I'm Half Italian and Only Now am Realizing

 


That the Italian flag has vertical stripes.  It's not shocking, it's just that it never really occurred to me that there is a flag, almost just like it, but horizontal.

The reason for this was that I had been watching a bunch of Wimbledon over a very rainy 3-day weekend and marveled at how no American men were left and yet Canada and Italy each had two men left.

Well, I was right about Canada, but not Italy.  I thought that a name like Márton Fucsovics didn't sound very Italian, but reasoned that professional tennis players are kind-of world citizens:  They choose a place that is nice to live in and which has the kind of weather which allows you to train year-round.  Italy has pretty nice weather compared to most of the Slavic areas.  Anyway, I noticed his flag was different from the very typically named Italian, Matteo Berrettini's flag.

So I learned something about the Italian flag and something about the Hungarian flag too. 

No comments: