Sunday, April 13, 2008

All Fenced-In

Our backyard was fenced-in since the time we moved here. The sides and back are wire fence and the front side is blocked by the house and picket fencing.

The problem has been that Meenah is so small that she can squeeze between the pickets of the fencing. This weekend had enough of 'okay' weather to staple wire fencing to the picket fence. It has had the side-benefit of strengthening the wooden fence. I do not know the provenance of the wooden fence, since it was here when we moved in, but it is old and rickety. The wire has made it much stiffer. We haven't fully tested the integrity of the fencing, but we put her on one side and called her to us--she couldn't get to us. She seems disinclined to dig either, so it is a relief that I won't have to line the fence bottom with boulders.

An added note on tools used. All I needed tool-wise were wire cutters and a staple gun. Not sure why this is the case, but the staples come in packs of 1,250. I have had this tool for years and used it for many different jobs--so I have different sized staples for different jobs. In no case, except for this job, have I made a noticeable dent in a box of staples. The around 100' of fencing used about 2/3 of the box! Plus, I got better at stapling as I went, so I want to go back through and do more stapling to the parts I did earliest.

No comments: