Thursday, April 17, 2008

Making Pizza in China

I had an earlier post showing a couple of Chinese-style dishes that my wife and I threw together. It got me thinking about feasibility: We can cook this way because the ingredients are readily available to us. Could someone in China just as easily make dishes that we have here in The United States?

Pizza: For this, I need high gluten wheat flour (I like this) Yeast, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and herbs like oregano. Oh yes, also I would need an oven--do typical Chinese homes have an oven? I don't know. All the Chinese food I ever had was either steamed, fried or sauteed.

Or how about tacos? Can you get corn tortillas there? What about sour cream, cheddar cheese, avocados, hot peppers and Tabasco?

2 comments:

datadawak said...

I don't know about China, but in Japanese homes, American style ovens are not common. My wife special ordered one for our kitchen. Even with it, she complains that it is not big enough for a good sized turkey.
I've been to China twice, but you're right, come to think of it, most of the food served were stir fried, deep fried, or steamed.
As for ingredients, thanks to Costco, my wife can get many things she's used to in the U.S.
Tabasco is very popular here in Japan, too.
But again, I am not sure how it is in China.

dbp said...

Thanks for the information. It is nice to find out when an educated guess turns out to be correct.