Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fish and Chips

They get along well together on a plate or in a pond:

The kids are off from school this week, so my wife and I took a couple of days-off so that we could have some outings.

We did a long walk at Minuteman Park in Lexington and then came home, dropped-off Meenah and went back out for some lunch. We ate on the outside deck of a seafood place and the deck overlooked a pond.

Jemma noticed that there are fish in the pond--lots of 1 foot long ones which the waitress thought might be "rainbow fish" After our meal, I thought I would see if the fish liked any scraps from my plate, so I threw-in a shrimp tail. The fish all swarmed to it but none of them gobbled it up. Emboldened by the initial experiment, I threw in a small piece of french fry; they all swarmed around and one fish swallowed it whole. It was a veritable feeding frenzy as all three girls broke apart their leftover fries and fed the fish.

I wondered to my wife what sort of natural selection it was which make fish chase after fried potato?

No comments: