Sunday, March 16, 2008

Running observations

I was going to bag running for the weekend since I have the beginnings of a head-cold. I rested all day Saturday but still felt enervated all day. So today I figured that if I am going to feel like crap all day, a run won't make me feel worse and might do some good.

A lot of the snow, most really, has melted so I decided to run on trails. The trails were not really good for anyone: There were long stretches of snow and ice which would be good for cc skiing, but then this would be followed by long stretches of mud and dirt.

There is a spot that I always pass by; it has several lengths of sawed white birch logs laying on the ground. I have seen them before, I know that the are there. Whenever I first see them I wonder, for a split-second, why there are PVC pipes on the ground.

I listen to music as I run. The iPod shuffle is so small, you can't feel the weight of it. I listen to classical rock and classical music and I have it pick the tunes randomly. So I might get the Red Hot Chili Peppers--which makes me feel like running aggressively, followed by Mozart's "Requiem"--which (sublimely) makes me think of my mortality, then some Cake--which reminds me of how much I like horns in rock music, then Beethoven's 6th--which reassures me that Spring will eventually show herself...

No comments: