Thursday, March 27, 2008

School LOCK-DOWN Dun-Da-Dunnnn

Just got an automated voice mail from the middle school. They had a lock-down, which by the way, whenever I hear about these things I think about prison movies. Until fairly recently, prison was the only context for the expression.

The cause of this "lock-down" you ask? Ah, someone found an EMPTY firearm cartridge in the hallway. Now I suppose it could be harmful if a student happened to have: A bullet, powder, a primer, a reloading press, the correct reloading dies, and oh yes--a gun!

Okay, I know; I am being a little playful here. When you fire any kind of automatic weapon, it spits-out the used shell. So, if you see a shell on the floor, maybe there has been gun-play. Of course when guns go off, they often make a certain very loud noise, technically called a bang!

Maybe there was someone there with a gun, and he dropped the empty. Yes, that is very reasonable. I know that if I want to go to the range and do some shooting, I am sure to bring lots of empty shells along.

This is way out there, but just stick with me on this. Maybe some kid picked-up an empty shell from home, or found it on the ground and brought it in to show around or just forgot that it was in his pocket? I know this seems very unlikely. It probably really was the night time janitors doing target practice in the hallways and they forgot to pick-up one of the shells and who knows? Maybe they left their rifles laying around too. Or a gunman came to the school to shoot-up the place, but somehow just brought empty shells with him.

I would be willing to bet it was a parade shell: In our 4th of July parade there are always troops (mostly re-enacters) who fire volleys and kids pick-up the empty brass blanks left in the street. I know Dahlia did this and then her sisters weren't happy till they found shells too. You can tell these shells from regular ones because the blanks are crimped at the top. This keeps the powder from spilling out, since there is no bullet to block the end.

UPDATE: My daughter is home now and added this detail: They had to gather together in one corner of the classroom for around an hour. So the school blew some 600 student-hours of learning, all for no reason.

UPDATE 2: Coincidence edition: Dahlia, who goes to the grade school, came home from school and presented me with a rock that she thinks looks like a bullet...

No comments: