Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Home Repairs: Part n of ∞

Yesterday, nicely timed 'till after my wife was done with the truck, the garage door broke.

I didn't get off from work until 8:00 last night so there was little consideration of fixing it then. Today I am off, so today's script writes itself.

The way garage doors work, there are two cables which connect between the bottom corners of the door and springs. The idea is for the spring to counter some of the door's weight. What happened to our door was that one of the cables broke right at the spot where it connects to the bottom of the door. What I needed to do was make a new loop at the end and secure it somehow.

What I did was take a couple of square inches of sheet metal (flashing) and wrap it around the new loop. Then I squished and crimped the metal with pliers. So far it works--time will tell if it is a durable repair.

No comments: