Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This was better...

My wife had intended to make pasta tonight with Béchamel sauce and Smithfield Ham. As it turned out, time was limited and she needed to go to the middle school open house. So we improvised to save time. Here is the recipe:

Cook 1 lb of linguine according to package directions.

Drain and return to pot, add around 1/2 lb of cubed ham to the pasta and then add the following sauce and mix under moderate heat until it reaches the proper consistency. (So that the noodles are coated with cheese rather than the sauce being a puddle on the bottom of the pan.)

Sauce:

Brown a couple of crushed and chopped cloves of garlic in a teaspoon of olive oil.

Pour in 1 cup of good white wine (Use something you would drink, we used leftover pinot grigio from last night.) As you stir the wine on medium heat, slowly add the grated cheese. We used around 1/3 lb of 4:1 Danish Fontina and Romano.

It was fabulous! and probably had a million calories per bite.

4 comments:

Trooper York said...

Personally I always use pancetta but ham is a good alternative. One suggestion. Add some peas. You will be glad you did.

dbp said...

We normally would use pancetta or Prosciutto, but we had a bunch of left-over ham. The peas are a great suggestion, we have done that before but didn't think of it this time.

Trooper York said...

Good move. I like to use everything possible when cooking especially if I have leftover stuff. Once when my sister in law had her first kid, my wife and I went over every night for the firstg two weeks and I cooked for everyone. They love chicken and what I did is when they had some chicken tenders that I breaded and then when they were crisp I put on a piece of ham and some mozzarella to melt over it and served it over rice. You think I had invented the wheel. They loved it and it was just utilizing what we had in the fridge.

Trooper York said...

I use the pancetta, peas and cream sauce with tortillini which seems to work best for me. Salud.