Wednesday, June 24, 2020

A couple of comments

Blogger dbp said...

Early on a 6-mile jog yesterday, I noticed a new Black Lives Matter sign, which are pretty common here in a distant suburb of Boston. What attracted my attention was a small epigraph at the bottom. Silence = Violence.

The more I thought about it (I had 5 miles to to go and I'm not fast) the more I thought, "This is the moment BLM has jumped the shark".

First we are informed that speech (of the wrong kind) is violence. Then we are preached that violence is speech. And now, complete passivity is violence. My head ached more in thinking how to unknot the logical contradictions, than my legs did in running in 90 degrees.

I will resist speaking on some things but if I'm forced to opine, I will say: BLM and ANTIFA sound nice In practice, the first will result in more black lives lost (mostly black men at the hands of other black men) and the second are (despite their name) fascist street thugs.

6/24/20, 9:14 AM Delete
Blogger dbp said...

Elie Wiesel had something to say about silence:

"...Wherever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must – at that moment – become the center of the universe."

Right now, it is obvious who is the oppressor. The people commanding me to speak are the oppressors.

6/24/20, 9:24 AM

No comments: