Thursday, July 24, 2008

I think I figured out the odd thing from this March post

I think I figured out this mystery: There is no land at 0.0, 0.0 so it is unlikely that there is a server there. What I would bet on is that when a new server is set-up, it defaults to 0.0,0.0. So that is the explanation: (I hypothesize) We are seeing servers which are new or are being reset and they go to the default setting. What is odd is that it is so rare. Maybe GeoID normally filters them out of their view, but sometimes one slips through.
This has happened before, not to this extent though. I normally might get 2-3 hits per day but sometimes, for reasons I don't understand yet, I get a huge deluge of hits. Just in case one might think that it is just GeoID not working right, I don't think that is the case: The site counter jumps too.

Here is another odd thing: I see a hit from location zero longitude and zero latitude. So, on the equator and due South of London. It is odd, because there doesn't seem to be any land there.

No comments: