Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving misc.

The day was really very laid-back. My wife's brother and his wife were going to come, but had to cancel as their baby was sick. So all we had was us 5 plus my wife's parents. We did some things differently as a result of this:

We didn't stress-out about the meal being in the early afternoon, which made the day more relaxing. I even managed to do some yard work--prune the roses, dig-up the dahlias, put the picnic table into mothballs and rake the leaves away from the crocuses. We all had time to go for a bike ride/walk (some of us rode, some walked) to the Byam School.

Normally I would cook two small turkeys; One in the oven and one on the charcoal grill for that smoky taste. This year I did just one. I have also added another tradition to the mix--focaccia, as a snack around lunch time. My grandmother, who was as we say, "off the boat" made this lovely savory bread all the time. Although she always called it pizza. It is really great and I make a batch of dough anyway for rolls, so it isn't much extra work.

We missed-out on getting to see the little cute baby, but we had a quiet, happy thanksgiving.

No comments: