Saturday, July 12, 2008

BMW repair update--air hammer

I have had an air compressor for some time, but hadn't purchased any tools for it. I figured that auto shops must have some way of pounding-out pressed-in bolts and they use lots of air tools--a quick search turned up air hammers. They are kind of like hand held jack hammers.

For less than $100 and having at least two other uses I can already think of, it seemed like a safe bet.

I haven't used it under the car yet, but I did fire it up to see how it works and managed to pulverize a brick in about 5 seconds.

Update: I pounded one stud for 30 minutes and it didn't budge. About the only thing I haven't tried is putting a torch on it while running the air hammer.

I ended up using the stainless steel tie straps and they have been holding so far. The car is quiet--for now.

No comments: