Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Tips for the aspiring DIY automechanics...

When removing an a part of your car which is essential to its function--it is risky to take a part out if you have reason to believe you will not be able to get it back in.

Case in point: I was removing 4 bolts which connect the exhaust manifold with the exhaust pipe. The first bolt sheared-off, but no problem, I could just hammer the other end of it out the hole. Except, I couldn't get it to hammer out. I figured it was rusted on and I would have better access for hammering when the rest were off. At this point it would have been a good idea to stop and take it to a shop.

It turns out that the bolt are pressed in, like the bolts which hold your wheels on. I have had these shear-off before and was able to sledge hammer them out. It is just very difficult to get a good swing going from under the car. Maybe I can figure out some way of jury-rigging it with stainless steel tie-straps.

No comments: