Sunday, July 06, 2008

We got to meet baby Rowan this weekend

I have been an uncle for around 18 years and so when we got married my wife became an aunt. Just a few months ago, her one sibling and his wife had a baby boy and we got to see him for the first time yesterday.

He is very very cute. We neglected to take any good pictures, so if you go here--you can verify my cuteness claims.

Our kids haven't been infants in half a decade, so we have kind of forgotten how cute the little munchkins can be. At one point, Rowan burst into tears and was quivering his chin at the same time. Oh-My-God! What a flood of memories that brought back! They have the full range of cries; from simple noise only to red-faced, fists clenching, quivering chin and fountains of tears.

There is a kind of Zen aspect to taking care of babies. One can easily be caught-up in the moment and desperate to quell whatever turmoil is causing your child to cry. That is not by itself enough. I learned to savor the process of the work and the feelings which went with it. Even as the work became enjoyable I also got better results. This is not really surprizing since calm focused efforts are usually more effective than frantic struggles. Anyway, there were really only three things you can do with a crying baby: Feed it, change it or hold it. You go through the process and most of the time it works--the baby settles down. There is a big payoff when you have a baby fall asleep in your arms or make eye contact while you administer a bottle, but the real sublime feeling is to enjoy just as much the sure-handed and gentle care you give even as they still struggle and cry.

8 comments:

Trooper York said...

Do you have an address that I can mail a full set of a infant Yankee uniform so we can get the kid on the right track?

I mean you don't want him to grow up to be a loser, you know, a Red Saux fan.

Remember, the Yankees are the one's who get all the babes.

Joba is gonna knock you out.

Your Pal Trooper.

dbp said...

I feel like my blog has finally arrived!

Not sure what baby Rowan's parent's baseball loyalties are: They both were born and raised in Massachusetts, but after college they lived in Seattle for about 8 years. Now they are on Long Island--is Long Island Yankee territory? I mean, somebody roots for the Mets presumably. I can't imagine that they still--if ever had loyalty to the Mariners. I'm from Washington and even I don't care about the Mariners.

Trooper York said...

Well chances they are Met's fans if they are from Long Island. Poor kids.

Anyway I put you into the Evil Empires data base as a Red Sox fan so be advised that you are being watched at all times.

Remember, God is a Yankee fan.

Trooper York said...

I saw you came by before. I hope you enjoyed my series about the Head of Ted Williams in it's secret lair under Disney World.

It's all true I tell ya.

dbp said...

Yes, I saw the Ted Williams post.

Brilliant!

Trooper York said...

Hey I added you to my blog roll. Keep in touch.

dbp said...

Thanks!

That was just the nudge I needed to figure out how to create a blogroll. So, I figured it out and your blog was the first to be entered.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the three tips on what to do (from a childless person), I've heard also to try doing nothing for 10 minutes, sometimes the child will die down. If there's a scramble to do something asap each time, wonder if this will lead to dependency issues? Note: I realize one can only take so much and one should try those three first.

PS God may have been a Yankee fan in the 20th century but not in the 21st! They should give Bonds a try at this point.