Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday marathon training run

There are three kinds of work-outs in the Furman 3-days per week training plan: Long slow distance (LSD), a tempo run of 6-8 miles at a pace faster than marathon goal pace and then an interval run--which is sprints designed to increase speed. My last hard workout was last Thursday when I ran 18 miles slowly. I didn't want to do another LSD today, but I did want a hard workout, so what I decided to do was run 10 miles with sprints built-in and yet try and keep a tempo of marathon goal pace (8 minutes/mile).

I thought from past running that today's course was 10 miles even, so the whole way I figured I was a couple of minutes slow. Once home, I mapped it out and it was 10.32 which I did in 1:22:47. This translates to pretty much 8 min/mile almost exactly. The only real concern is that I had to push pretty hard to make that pace and a marathon is more than twice as far. Of course the sprints took a lot out of me and I will most certainly not be doing that on race day.

Update: Monday 4.25 miles in 32:47

Update: Tuesday 4.25 miles in 32:04

No comments: